Financial aid and financial literacy support
TRIO SES & STEM provide students with information on both the full range of student financial aid programs, benefits and resources for locating public and private scholarships; and assistance in completing financial aid applications. We also provide workshops, referrals, and counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of participants. All participants are required to have at least one contact with their TRIO advisor related to financial aid and financial literacy. TRIO SES & STEM work closely with KU Financial Aid and Scholarships and KU Student Money Management Services to assist students in addressing financial aid issues such as FAFSA completion, budgeting, scholarship opportunities, and loan repayment options. More information from KU is available at KU Financial Aid and Scholarships and KU Student Money Management Services.
TRIO participants may also apply for a TRIO Grant. The TRIO Grant has been designed to financially assist participants who are Federal Pell Grant recipients. The intention of the grant is to reduce the amount of loan indebtedness of participants with limited income. Freshman and sophomore students are prioritized. Awards depend on multiple factors including the availability of federal funds, the date of application for the TRIO Grant, program participation, amount of Unmet Financial Need as determined by Financial Aid and Scholarships, and the amount of financial aid received.
Eligibility requirements to be considered for the TRIO Grant include:
- You have signed a TRIO SES & STEM participation agreement for the Fall 2020 semester by the TRIO Grant Application priority deadline.
The deadline to apply for a TRIO Grant is October 15, 2020.
- You met the participation requirements outlined in the TRIO SES & STEM participation agreement for the fall semester in which you applied for the TRIO Grant.
- You are a Federal Pell Grant recipient.
- You are a current KU student “making satisfactory progress toward graduation” as defined by Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- You have a “gap” between the cost of attending KU and the amount of financial aid you have received for the year in which you
are applying for the TRIO grant as determined by Financial Aid and Scholarships. The “gap” must be equal to or higher than the
minimum amount of Pell Grant for a full-time student appropriated for that year.
To learn more and apply, go to https://ku.academicworks.com/opportunities/15406.
You can find more information about using Academic Works here.