In order to qualify for TRIO SES & STEM, students must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Qualify as a first-generation college student (i.e., neither parent/guardian has received a four-year degree);
- Meet the federal guidelines for low-income status; or
- Have a documented disability and be registered with the KU Student Access Center.
Applicants must also:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- Be accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled at KU as an undergraduate student pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree; and
- Demonstrate academic need (e.g.: first semester freshman status, ACT below 21, high school or transfer GPA below 2.5, etc.) and strengths (e.g.: overall GPA 2.5 or higher, ACT is 21 or higher, persistence toward graduation) for services to qualify. If you are uncertain about the whether your academic needs or strengths match the criteria contact us!
Apply for TRIO SES or TRIO STEM
Applications may be submitted at any time and are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. TRIO SES and TRIO STEM use a shared application. Submit this application to apply for either program.
Before you start, please make sure you have the following ready: (Application works best in Google Chrome)
- KU Online ID (e.g. j012h014) and login credentials
- 7-digit KU Student ID
- Social Security Number
- KU Address – or the address where you will be staying during the semester. If you do not know this yet, please use your preferred address for us to reach you.
- Income verification – you can select one of the four options:
- FAFSA on file with KU (You can give TRIO permission to access your FAFSA data);
- Signed income tax return – digital copy to be uploaded with application; or
- If you are independent, a statement of your taxable income; or
- If you are a dependent, the supplemental form verifying parent/guardian taxable income for the previous tax year – see below
The application may time out if you have to pause to locate this information after you have started
Apply by mail or fax:
Online application is preferred but if necessary (lack of internet access, etc.) students can print a copy of this PDF and submit it via mail or fax.
Completed applications may be returned via fax or U.S. mail:
TRIO SES & STEM
University of Kansas
1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Room 7
Lawrence, KS 66045
After you have submitted your application, please be sure to:
- Provide requested information after we reach out to you
- Check your email for notification that you have been accepted
- Schedule your intake appointment with a TRIO SES & STEM advisor